Friday, April 1, 2016

Terrorists interrogate: Again, the religious display their lack of originality

"Questions for christians to ask atheists" is a list that has been making the rounds on the internet for years or perhaps decades.  Periodically, some theist finds it and ignorantly assumes that no one has ever posed the questions to atheists before.  It's like a child seeing a classic movie from the 1930s and assuming no one has ever watched it other than themselves.  The theist also ignorantly assumes that atheists can't answer the questions because the theist can't answer them without saying "godidit".

Other atheists have been answering them, so I'll throw my hat in the ring and take my turn.

1. How Did You Become an Atheist?

I always was an atheist.  I never believed the godswallop (*) despite my cultist parents' attempts to forcibly indoctrinate me.  They could never explain the contrdictions and inconsistencies in their cult when I was a child, so why would I believe as a better educated adult?

godswallop (n.) theistic statements that make no sense; religious belief


2. What happens when we die?

Nothing.  We die.  There is no "afterlife".  The religious may ignorantly fear non-existince, but once you get over your self-importance, you put more effort into living and enjoy life more.

3. What if you’re wrong? And there is a heaven? And there is a HELL!

Prove such mythical places exist before making the claim.  I don't believe in the fairy tales of the buybull because there is no evidence.  The Iliad and the Odyssey are more relevant as fables.

4. Without God, where do you get your morality from?

If you can only act morally because your religion threatens you with eternal suffering,  then you are a danger to society and should be locked up.  I don't need to the threat of a mythical being to make me act morally. I do it by choice because it's the right thing to do.

5. If there is no God, can we do what we want? Are we free to murder and rape? While good deeds are unrewarded?

Theists regularly use religion to do what they want, including murder and rape.  "My god wants me to do this!" is the religious justification for mass murder, rape, racism, sexism, bigotry, child molestation, theft, and other acts.  My reward for ethical behaviour is building a civilized society I get to live in.

6. If there is no god, how does your life have any meaning?

The purpose of life is to survive and propagate.  Any other "meaning" is something a person chooses to put into life, and I choose to help make other people's lives better.  If you need a religion to tell you what to do, you lead a very sad and empty life.

7. Where did the universe come from?

The Big Bang.  If you deny that the Big Bang happened, you're not educated enough to be ask questions.  If you were never taught the theory or told it was false, then you received an inferior education.

8. What about miracles? What all the people who claim to have a connection with jesus? What about those who claim to have seen saints or angels?

Come with me to a hospital morgue and bring a three day old decapitated corpse back to life.  If your mythical god can't do it, then it doesn't exist.  This is your claim, so put up or shut up.  Demonstrate, don't remonstrate.  Don't babble about miracles if you won't perform them on command.

As for people who claim to speak with supernatural beings, hearing voices is an auditory hallucination and may be associated with a mental health problem.

9. What’s your view of Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris?

Those three are irrelevant to my life, unlike pedophile priests, the Ku Klux Klan and the Jim Jones cult who are directly relevant to yours.  You unquestioningly follow leaders and do their bidding no matter how unethical.  I think for myself and choose my own actions.  Only I speak for myself.

10. If there is no God, then why does every society have a religion?

Every society has a religion because fearful and ignorant people couldn't explain the world, or because an oppressive invader imposed religion upon them.  Religion only propagates through ignorance and the use the force and violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment